Ontario Trillium Scholarships 2018/2019 – Scholarship is Worth $5,000
The Ontario Trillium Scholarships (OTS) software is an important initiative to entice top international college students to Ontario for PhD studies. Students involved in the Ontario Trillium Scholarships are motivated to express their hobby in the competition to the graduate software chair when making use of for admission to Western University. A certified worldwide applicant must be nominated for the scholarship with the aid of the Graduate Chair of the admitting program.
Ontario Trillium Scholarships 2018/2019 Value and Duration
- $40,000 per year renewable for up to four years, and will begin at the same time as with the start of the recipient’s PhD program.
- Eligible start dates are May 1 or September 1 immediately following the annual SGPS call for nominations.
- OTS Terms and Conditions
- Seven scholarships per yr
Ontario Trillium Scholarships 2018/2019 Eligibility
Academic Eligibility: An eligible applicant must have completed a minimal of 80% in each of the final two most recently finished years of full-time college study, or equal to full-time study. Eligibility averages for the competitive scholarship are rounded ONLY to the nearest decimal place.
To Be Eligible for Nomination by the Graduate Chair, an applicant needs to also:
- Be an international pupil at the time of utility and when taking up the award
- Intend to be current on campus to undertake full-time Ph.D. studies in any discipline at Western at the start of either Summer Term or Fall Term at once following the annual call for nominations
- Not have formerly been registered, or no longer be currently be enrolled, in a university degree software at an Ontario university
- Have awesome lookup ride and manageable combined with a tremendous university tutorial record
- Have acquired a valid brief resident visa as a member of the scholar category under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) via the begin date of the Ph.D. program
- Be existing and registered full-time in the Ph.D. software at Western with the aid of the begin date of the award and for its full duration
- Not have concurrently commonplace a scholarship or fellowship from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), or the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), or be in receipt of an Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) or a Queen Elizabeth II – Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (QEII-GSST)
- Maintain pleasant progress in the program which will be tested with the aid of the recipient’s completion of an annual progress report in conjunction with his/her supervisor
N.B. A recipient may additionally continue to hold the Trillium he/she emerge as a permanent resident of Canada during the tenure of the award.
Administering the Competition – Roles and Responsibilities
The Nomination File:
International candidates ought to be nominated by using their admitting Graduate Chair (Director or Associate Dean), and the candidate’s complete admission software is used as the basis of evaluation along with a Nomination Letter written by the Graduate Chair (Director or Associate Dean.
Remember that when applying for admission, applicants whose first language is no longer English should supply evidence of their talent in the use of the English language. Please refer candidates as fabulous to the records on English Language Proficiency on our website.
Initial Considerations for the Graduate Chair
- Am I cozy that the student meets the standards for nomination i.e. does the pupil have an established file of excessive research plausible and educational excellence, as well as robust interpersonal and verbal exchange skills?
- Does my graduate program’s lookup training surroundings offer the candidate the right opportunities and facilities, and do the candidate’s lookup pursuits align with our priorities?
- Am I familiar with the quality and reputation of the candidate’s previous college or of the branch from which they lately completed their diploma program?
Graduate Program Responsibilities For Ontario Trillium Scholarships 2018/2019
- Recruit a competitive candidate(s) and have them entire and submit an Online Application for admission, or identify a competitive candidate(s) from the pool of Ph.D. admission purposes already submitted.
- Confirm that the candidate has carried out at a fine level over the two most current years of full-time study; Calculate two eligibility averages, one for every of the final two years of full-time study. See rule above.
- Notify the candidate(s) that they are being considered for the scholarship
- Write the Nomination Letter (max. 2 pages), addressed to the Vice-Provost, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies, that offers a purpose for the desire of candidate, simply articulating the excellence of the candidate according to the 4 selection standards outlined in the Trillium Scoring Rubric
- Academic excellence
- Research attainable and experience
- Interpersonal Qualities of the Candidate
- Quality and recognition of the preceding university or diploma program
- Prepare the nomination file (single PDF) in this order:
o Nomination Letter
o Admission Application which usually includes: summary, tutorial intent, letters of reference, transcripts, supplementary documents
- Submit the PDF nomination to SGPS (email@example.com) any time after January 1st till SGPS closes the annual call.
SGPS Responsibilities via Ontario Trillium Scholarships 2018/2019
- Receive nominations from graduate chairs, select the seven (7) recipients on time, and decide a ranked waitlist of alternate candidates with the aid of April 1st.
- Communicate the provides to the Ontario Trillium Scholars-elect by using the admitting graduate programs
- Update the External Funding Portfolio on an ongoing basis with the outcomes of the annual competition
- Make suggestions to waitlisted candidates in the tournament of declined offers.